I ♥ Polyvore

Saturday, December 31, 2011

November 12, 2011

On November 9th at ~7pm I felt an interesting twinge. It was a small cramp in my lower abdomen. I was standing in the kitchen and recall placing both hands on the counter and expressing to Chris that something felt odd. Not knowing what it was, I brushed it off....however Chris said he thought it was probably a contraction. I recorded it on paper per his request and went about the evening. Throughout the night and for the next day I felt these about every 15 minutes or so. I still didn't realize what was happening.
On Friday the 12th, after two mostly sleepless nights I drove to EG to do some cooking with Mom and Dad to help fill our freezer with food to help when baby arrived. I filled Mom and Dad in and continued recording the 'cramps' knowing it couldn't be anything as I wasn't due for another week. Luckily, everyone else around me knew better. I ended up staying in EG and spent a mostly sleepless night recording my cramps.
Saturday, November 12th Mom drove me back to Lincoln and Chris came home from a long shift. We spent the day watching theCal football game and resting as we were both tired. As the day went on things got interesting. Around 11am I noticed I'd lost my mucous plug. The light started to co me on....I was going to have a baby! I kept diligently recording my contractions and realized they were more difficult to get through and a bit closer together. After dinner it was getting painful, but manageable. Like goofballs we went out for a walk around 7 hoping I'd feel better with fresh air. I'm sure it looked comical as I needed to stop every few minutes to get through the contractions. By the time we got home I was getting a little worried. I started needing to get on all fours and sway side to side to manage the contractions. As I came up onto my knees to stand I felt my water break....it was real!
By 9pm we headed to the hospital. I had called Mom and Dad and alerted them that we would call once we were settled in to our room.
The car ride is a blur to me. I remember Chris making small talk and grunting in response to him.
I remember checking in to Labor and Delivery.
Then I remember the nurse saying it.....
208/118?
I knew this was bad
Suddenly the tone in the room changed. One nurse in the room turned into 3 and a Doctor was there immediately. Chris walked in as they put me on oxygen. I carefully listened to the fetal monitor and heard the precious beats of my babies heart diminish with each contraction.
I recall hearing the nurses and doctors tone, panicked.
I was raced down the hall on a gurney, glancing at the passing lights on the ceiling through the oxygen mask, what was happening?
By the time we got into a room I was being asked a million questions,
"do you have any allergies"
"can you sign this consent"
Then I heard them tell Chris if they took me, he could not come, I'd be out undera general.....
Now I was scared
About then Dad walked in and I'll never forget the smile....but all I felt was fear
Chris quickly filled them in, butter level of chaos I the room needed no explanation
"I push?" I barely managed to mumble to the anesthesiologist.....
They checked me....I was 10cm and it was even more chaos....
They weren't prepared for this, they were prepared to take me to surgery
Two pushes and a pair of forceps later it was over
I laid patiently waiting....to hear the one thing I waited 10 months for...
She cried
I cried
We were ok
At 10:19 pm, weighing in at 5 pounds, 5 ounces, 19.25" came our little girl....
Whom we didn't name until the next morning....it took us awhile to settle down
Harlow Raellyn
Was here

2 comments:

Leslee said...

Wiping tears away... Reliving this event as if it were yesterday.

What an amazing journey my dear daughter; from the time you told Dad & I that you were pregnant until the moment I saw that beautiful daughter of yours making her way into the world...

I have been blessed beyond my wild dreams... Thank you!

Lindsay said...

Woah! That was a pretty fast labor! I mean, obviously you'd been in labor for a few days, but wow! Good thing she was a wee little one :-) I'm so glad that things turned out so well amidst all the scares that were occurring around you!

Hugs!!!