I ♥ Polyvore

Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Boston

"Happy Patriot's Day you two".....the text message came in from our dear friend Larry yesterday morning.  Patriot's Day is a big deal for us runners you see, it's Marathon Monday.  
It's the day we reflect back on our own special day in Boston, it's the day we watch carefully to see if an American runner will stand on the podium.  We exchanged a few memories, pics of each other wearing our respective jackets....and went about our days.
As the events of April 15, 2013 unfolded in front of me yesterday afternoon, I sat, warmed by my 2009 Boston Marathon jacket with tear filled eyes.  
I didn't know what to do with myself.  
I sat and updated my Twitter feed every minute.
 I watched live, on CNN, the carnage that the glorious Boylston Street finish had become.

Other tragedies have hurt, they have made me sad and morose.  
However, this, for some reason, cut me to my core.  
It brought big, rolling tears to my eyes, a wrenching pit to my stomach.  
I just wanted to run.

We are runners.  
We are strong.  
We are a community of caring, loving, supportive, amazing people.  
Nothing can take that away.  
For years I have crossed finish line after finish line, 
collected my medal, 
found my loving family and friends...and thought nothing of it.  
Yesterday, that changed.  

I went back and read this post
The emotions I posted after my last experience in Boston.....summed up the magic, the feelings, the joy, the gratitude, the reasons why I run and the reason Boston has such a strong place in my heart.  
I realize now that moment will never be the same.  
I have always known the strength of the spectators.  
They may not know it, but without them.....there is no race.  
My heart aches.  
I'm not sure what to do, all I know is that we have to keep running.  
Long May We Run.

1 comment:

Leslee said...

Because we are runners we will persevere! We will not let this break us or cloud the community.